29 August 2005

Birthday Rant

I woke up on Sunday and it hits me ... I'm 29 today. The sudden realisation that you're at the end of your 20s. Never thought that I would get so close to 30, not that fast anyway. It looked like at least a 100 years away when I first left my teenagehood.

Oh the 20s, what glorious years. Almost half of it as a student (one third if you minus the tutorials I've missed and the lectures which I had day-dreamed away.) and the other half as a participant of the amazing rat race. The years where I first flirted with freedom as a student in the Uni, introduced to the dog-eat-dog world of office politics, unlearnt the lessons of youth and quickly discovered the burdens and responsiblities of adulthood.

'I am Sixteen going on Seventeen'. So sang the poor disillusioned Liesl Von Trapp in desperation to grow up. Oh well, she had her time under the alpine sun, and soon was loathing that she was sixty going on seventy. Truthfully, I've never thought about life after 30 as I was pretty much enjoying the joyride of the young and vibrant twenties.

Now I'm here at 29. The bell is ringing, signalling the final lap before I reach 30. Should I sprint, take the outside lane, maintain my stride or just finish the race with the rest of the stragglers ?



last lap




*******************************************
How I celebrated my Birthday ?

Celebrations started on Saturday night, 27th Aug, thanks to my thoughtful friends. We had dinner at a small Korean restaurant off Boat Quay. Dinner included 'spicy' seafood steamboat and a few ala-carte dishes. Following dinner we moved over to Coffee Bean for coffee and birthday cake.

Group Photo

Colour corrdinated. From front(L-R)- Hui Shan, Ching Poh, Wei Wee, Wee Loong, Vicky, Me, Beng Soon & Bae Yong Jun

Cake

It gets harder to blow off the flame in one breath

Sunday, 28th August, began just before noon. Attended church with Vicky. Then went to Cineleisure Orchard and had a quick lunch at Pastamania. Decided to spent the afternoon watching 'suit-ed' artic birds slide and waddle their way across the icy plains in 'The March of the Penguins'. Found a new respect for Emperor Penguins.


emperor penguin

The Emperor and its young



At night, had a date with Vicky at Athens Restaurant, a quaint restaurant serving Greek fare. We had Hummus(Chickpea dip), Moussaka( Lagsana like dish with minced lamb, patato and eggplant), and Kalamari (deep fried juicy squid). After the hearty meal, we headed home.
Well, that was my welcome to 29.



Hot Rod with Matrix

Hot Rod opening his present on his 29th Birthday. Little did he know that the gift contained banned growth substance (rumoured from the infamous BALCO labs).

3 comments:

Beer Brat said...

Hey! I got featured. Haha.

benauhc, happy birthday to you! as they said.. life starts at 40.. er.. i mean 29... :)

Beer Brat said...

And you posted a photo of HS with her eyes shut. You are so gonna get it from her. Hehe.

Anonymous said...

happy belated birthday Ben!

Charles:)