31 May 2006

First and Last of May

It’s the end of May and I’m sitting here listening to Emi Fujita’s soulful rendition of ‘First of May’. It’s among one of my favourite songs.

First of May

When I was small, and Christmas trees were tall,
we used to love while others used to play.
Don't ask me why, but time has passed us by,
someone else moved in from far away.

Now we are tall, and Christmas trees are small,
and you don't ask the time of day.
But you and I, our love will never die,
but guess who'll cry come first of May.

The apple tree that grew for you and me,
I watched the apples falling one by one.
And as I recall the moment of them all,
the day I kissed your cheek and you were gone.

Now we are tall, and Christmas trees are small,
and you don't ask the time of day.
But you and I, our love will never die,
but guess who'll cry come first of May.

When I was small, and Christmas trees were tall,
do do do do do do do do do ...


Always thought the song was about growing up and reminiscing some lost childhood love. Or maybe just a song to mark the start of spring; or perhaps the international Labours’ Day. That was until I came across Barry’s explanation …

BARRY GIBB: 'First of May,' that was my dog's birthday. When Linda and I first moved into an apartment near St Paul's Cathedral, we got ourselves a Pyrenean mountain dog and named him Barnaby. The idea came from then. Sad to say, Barnaby's gone but the song lives on.

3 comments:

Beer Brat said...

Got two of her albums in my ipod. Hehe. Yah I think it's relaxing to listen to her song ...

Anonymous said...

It sure sounds like its better not to know what it really means....

just like life. better not to know why people do what they do isn't it?

real reasons are often dark and nasty ones.

benauhc said...

beer brat, yep, she has very clear voice and she cleverly selects songs which suits her voice.

didiusus, surprised you managed to find my blog. well you're right, sometimes one will be happier not knowing the reasons why.