18 January 2009

Home Kitchen Recipes

I don't usually wander into the kitchen when my Mum is cooking (leave it to the pro) but I couldn't resist picking up the recipe of my favourite 'Chilli Pork with dried shrimps and belacan' when I was back during Christmas. I not only got the recipe, but also the home-made blended chilli (a blend of 'cili padi', onion, ginger and garlic)!

We managed to test the recipe out a few weeks ago in our own kitchen. First a spoonful of blended chilli went in. I was ready for what was next to come. The spicy aroma that rose from the sizzling wok starts tickling the nostrils. With a hand over my nose, I just had to bear with it. Next the dried shrimps and belacan chili (we couldn't find belacan powder) went in, followed by the pork belly slices. Then a dash of dark soy sauce and a teaspoon of sugar for taste. The verdict? It was a super spicy (too much chilli) and could do with better pork. Nevertheless it was a good first try. Well there's enough chilli for a few more rounds of this dish, so fret not.

Sambal Meat 2
In the wok

Sambal Meat 1
Ta dah ...

We also learnt how to cook chicken rice while back in Muar.

Chicken Rice_6
Onions, Garlic and Ginger into the fry

Chicken Rice_5
Whole chicken on the boil

Chicken Rice_3
Frying the rice in spices and butter

Chicken Rice_1
Into the rice pot - with the boiled chicken stock

No comments: