05 May 2005

Roti Wars

If bread could talk ...

Scene 1 : (Told in the spirit of Star Wars)
CB 1 : Hoi Mum, you're in my territory ! Now deal with my stick !
Zeauww ... (whips out green light saber)
CB2 : You're right Boy, this town isn't big enough for the two of us. Now you'll have a taste of my shaft!
Zieuww ... (pulls out blue light saber from under the crust)
Zat ... Zut..Zit ...Zot (both sabers clash in the air)

CB1 : I was here first, why, in fact I was the first CB in this country. You're just a cheap imitation. Now return
to the wheat fields where you belong !
CB2 : So what if you're first ?!! It's the class that matters. See , here's my 4 1/2 stars to prove my quality. Only
the best survives.
CB1 : You insolent copycat ...
B.'Hans'.Solo : Zueauww..Zueauww.. (Runs in wielding two-edged red light saber).
Talking about first, I was here long before you two showed up. Now, before my 'Pandan Cake'
becomes a 'taste' of the past, I will rid the West off you two scumbags ...

(CB = Coffee Bun; B.'Hans'.Solo = Bengawan Solo)

***********************************************************************************************

Well, if you've been in Clementi lately , you'll know that the two acclaimed 'Coffee Bun' bakeries or bakeshoppes as some call them, Roti Boy (the incumbent) and Roti Mum (the chellenger) has set up shop only a few shops away from each other. Selling only Coffee Buns, this is a head to head mouth-watering match up.

I have tasted both buns. My first encounter was with the bun from Roti Mum branch in IMM. The first bite was heavenly, never tasted buns so aromatic and tasty before. The coffee flavour and buttered interior did the trick for me.

After the first encounter, I wanted to try the rival bun from Roti Boy so much that I made my way to Toa Payoh. However this time, the taste didn't match up to my expectations (maybe I had set my standards too high and they were a little too generous on the sugar that day).
Now that they have come to Clementi, I should give them another 're-match', in case my first was a little bias. Ok, will update on my take on both Coffee Buns real soon.

No comments: