21 December 2005

Pa&Josh

The song 'The Cat's in the cradle' was mentioned in Monday's edition of 'Today'. Indeed a timely reminder to all of us to cherish our loved ones this Christmas time.

THE CAT'S IN THE CRADLE

The child was born the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
There were planes to catch and bills to pay
He learned to walk when I was away
And he was talking before I knew it, and as he grew
He said, I'm gonna be like you, Dad, I'm going to be like you

The cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
When you're coming home, Dad? - I don't know when
But we'll get together then, Son, we'll have a good time then

My son turned ten the other day
He said, Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on, let's play
Will you teach me to throw? I said, Not today
I've got a lot to do. He said, That's O. K.
As he walked away his smile never dimmed; he said
I'm gonna be like him, I'm going to be like him

Then he came from college the other day
So much like a man that I had to say
Son, I'm proud of you, will you sit for a while?
He shook his head and he said with a smile
What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys
See you later, can I have them please?

The cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
When you're coming home, Son? - I don't know when
But we'll get together then, Dad, we'll have a good time then"

Now I've retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, I'd like to see you if you don't mind
He said, I'd love to, Dad, if I could find the time
See, my new job's a hassle, the kids had the flu
But it's sure nice talking to you, Dad
Sure nice talking to you

As I hung up the phone it occurred to me
My boy was just like me
He'd grown up just like me

Words & music Harry Chapin

Ho hum. The songs speaks for itself. Never leave it too late to spend time with people that matters. Peace. And have a great Christmas.

4 comments:

Beer Brat said...

I remember tat song. How true...

Beer Brat said...

Just tagged you my friend.

Norman said...

I happen to enjoy the Weird Al version...

DId you ever think when you eat chinese
It ain't pork or chicken but a fat siamese?
Yet the food tastes great so you don't complain
But that's not chicken in your chicken chow mein
Seems to me I ordered sweet and sour pork
But Garfield's on my fork
He's purrin' here on my fork

There's a cat in the kettle at the Peking Moon
The place that I eat every day at noon
They can feed you cat and you'll never know
Once they wrap it up in dough boys
They fry it real crisp in dough.

Chow Lin asked if I wanted more
As he was diallin' up his buddy at the old pet store
I said "Not today, I lost my appetite"
There's two cats in my belly and they want to fight.

I was suckin on a roll-aid and a tums or two
When I swear I heard it mew boy
And that is when I knew

There's a cat in the kettle at the Peking Moon
I think I gotta stop eating there at noon
They say that it's beef or fish or pork
But it's purrin there on my fork
There's a hairball on my fork

benauhc said...

beer brat, thanks a lot (note the sarcasm). now i have sometthing to do before christmas.

norman, ha ha good old Al. so what's his song called ? The Cat's in the Kettle ?