19 December 2005

An Unexpected Find

mirrormask

Booya! (Borrowing a phrase from insanesquirrel)

While flipping through the pile of ‘screen-to-tape’ (will just call it that) VCDs last Friday, among the Chicken Littles, Zathuras and Narnias, I found an arthouse flick that didn’t seem quite to make it to our shores.

MirrorMask. This was the joint collaboration of Director Dave McKean and Writer Neil Gaiman, and as IMDB calls it a Alice in Wonderland meets Wizard of Oz movie performed by Cirque de Soleil. The movie read like a Gaiman novel. Eccentric characters that jumped right out of comic books, a human protagonist, helpful strangers turned sidekick, mythical creatures, a dire quest, and a seamless blend of reality and fantasy, all trademarks of Mr.Gaiman. And at the end of the movie, it felt as though I had just finished reading another Gaiman book.

(P.S : Thank goodness they copied the movie from one of the distributor tapes and not another hand held recording from a dark movie theatre.)

1 comment:

Norman said...

WOW!

I just watched that last night!

Waited ages for it. Monitored Golden Village for a while so that I can pop down south to catch it when it comes... And actually, MirrorMask only showed in two cinemas, for one day on 7-Dec.

So, I missed the one chance to see it on the big screen.

Then the torrent finally materialised. And I got a friend with a faster broadband to download for me, and I just drove to his house last night to pick up the movie.