08 March 2006

Cai nay an co an toan khong ?

sapa_view

View from Sa Pa, I hope. But if it isn't, I will find out soon.



God, it’s dreaded Monday again,
The hated dawn that earns all curses,
Five days of floating on oarless raft,
As work current tugs from all corners.

But three weeks more to bear this gloom,
For the rugged land of north is waiting,
When carpal wrecked limbs turn all nimble,
As I trade daily chores for mountain hiking.


Yes, as my attempt on poetry suggest, I am due for a holiday in less than three weeks time. And it’s north to Vietnam this time, the land of delicious pho and fair damsels in striking Ao Dais.

The countdown begins.


P.S : Cai nay an co an toan khong ? = Is that safe to eat?. May not be such a useful term after I learnt that people there swallows beating cobra hearts in rice whiskey to relax.

7 comments:

Norman said...

And someone gave me this: http://www.visualgui.com/motion/BonjourVietnam.html

benauhc said...

stargazer, me heading to hanoi, ha long, and sa pa. hmmm ... shopping, not at the top of my priorities, but will find time for it. :)

norman, what's that? can't seem to access the site.

SoupLad said...

Stayed in Mountain View Hotel when I was in Sapa last year.

Try to arrive Sapa early Sat morning (weekend market to see the H'mongs...)(If u are on a budget, Instead of letting the friendly hotel staff to arrange ya iternary, try to buy ya own train tickets at the train station. this will save u at least 2 to 5 USD. Also, it is important to keep the train tag safely.(the conductor will issue a train tag in exchange for ya tickets) )
Try to hire the LOCAL guides for trekking in Sapa
The local agency would try to coax u to go to Cat Cat island. (to me, nothing great on the island)
If u hv the time to spare, Hue or Danang..

benauhc said...

souplad, thanks for the advice. too bad, I won't have time for hue or danang. only spending 9 days in vietnam.

Eternity said...

have fun and snap lotsa pictures to show!

hot choc said...

don't forget to drink the real Vietnam drip coffee.

benauhc said...

eternity, yep, will definitely do that.

hot choc, guess that's the only way to get my daily caffeine fix.