19 October 2005

The Cult of Jin Yong

Blogging is taking a back seat at the moment. I’m on a VCD-watching marathon and the series I’m watching is Jin Yong’s She4 Diao1 Ying1 Xiong2 Zhuan4 (The Legend of the Condor Heroes). This 2005 version of this famous story is currently showing on Channel U on Saturday night.

I must admit that I have a weakness for Jin Yong’s stories. Since I can’t read Chinese Novels, the next best thing to do is to watch it acted out on screen, preferably with English Subtitles. Anyway as there is no guarantee that I’m able to stay home come every Saturday night, I have started my own mini-collection of VCD series. Other series owned include ‘The Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber’ and ‘The Demi God and Semi Devils’ (weird translation of Tian1 Long2 Ba4 Bu4).

Now back to the TV Screen where Guo Jing is practicing his Dragon Subduing Palms (Xiang Long Shi Ba Zan) …


legend_of_the_condor_heroes_new

4 comments:

Eternity said...

now there's a cartoon series of The Legend of the Condor Heroes on 8TV if i'm not mistaken. must be real popular!

Norman said...

Hey, it only took me 6 years of primary school to learn enough chinese to be able to read the novels.

Will be worth your while, even if you read nothing else but JinYong novels. Seriously consider. :P

benauhc said...

eternity, seen parts of it, that's the 'Return of the Condor Heroes' japanese anime. but i still prefer real actors.

norman, with my old and rusty brain, i'll probably need 12 years to master the language.

SoupLad said...

I think people will not grow tired of Jing Yong. Just imagine, there are at lease 3 versions of return of condor heros, Tian1 Long2 Ba1 Bu4, Yi3 Tian1 Tu2 Long2 Ji4..... Personally, I have seen 3 versions of "Return of the Condor Heros" ... still loving it.