14 February 2006

Winged Cupid painted blind

Flower1

While passing the florist shop today, I can’t help but notice the queue of desperate men making last minute purchases. At the back of the shop, rows of almost identical rose bouquets lies in wait in the fridge with only the protruding receipts to identify the rightful owners of the most sought after commodity come the all important date in the courting calendar, Valentine’s Day.

Well, if you’re making last minute orders today, you’ll probably encounter such conversations with the florist.


Mr.Clueless Boyfriend : Hello Miss, I would like to order a bouquet of a dozen champagne coloured roses with 3 white lilies, decorated with baby’s breath, forget-me-nots and gold solidasters, and wrapped in a golden jute wrapper.

Ms.Florist :
Huh? Sir ah (hands over price list), we only got standard boo-kueh. Now only left red colour roses. Want or not ? We wrapped with those small white and yellow flowers. One boo-kueh of 12 roses only $80. How?

Mr.Clueless Boyfriend :
Er … okay then. Give me the standard bouquet of 12 roses.

Ms.Florist : Cash or nets ?

I still remember those teenage years growing up in secondary school when Valentine’s Day usually passes by without much fuss or hassle. Of course, in those days I was one of those who were without dates on Valentine’s. Well, that did not stop me from mischief. I remember those nights when my friends and I patrolled the dark streets of Muar, especially paying attention to the secluded ‘pak-tor’ spots around Tanjong Ketapang, trying to catch any activities taking place in those parked cars. We never did dare to venture too near those cars to have closer looks. Maybe things would have been different if we had volunteered to join the anti-khalwat team then.

Then there was one Valentine during Secondary 3, when I decided to make 3 Valentine’s Day Cards, signing off as anonymous and sent them to 3 girls. They were seniors I had known in church. It was fun designing those cards and anticipating their reaction when they receive those cards. No puppy crushes, just pure zany teenage fun. I got two friends to help me deliver those cards into their post box. Well, the mystery did not last long when they figured out the mysterious Casonova the very same day they received those cards. It was good fun then.

Maybe that’s just what Valentine’s Day need. Some spontaneity, some mystery, some fun. Not just the same courting ritual year in year out, played out with the same flowers, gifts and dinners. But well, if you already have your day all planned out, go ahead and enjoy it. That reminds me, got to collect my flowers later.

HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY !

*******

‘Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.’

~William Shakespeare, Mid-Summer Night's Dream, 1595

2 comments:

SoupLad said...

reminds me of an old-school song....."if love is blind......"

benauhc said...

stargazer, i did. yep, was at the florist lining up.

souplad, i only know the song by Tiffany from the 80's ... "if love is blind I'll find my way with you..."