05 September 2006

Of Muppets and Nuptials

Josh leaving 2

It was a quiet weekend back in Muar. Hmmm… well quiet seems to be an understatement when you have a 1½ year old nephew in da’ house. He walks now, so he covers all corners of the house within seconds. And he’s up by 7 in the morning and never stops till afternoon nap. Everyone then takes a short two hour breather before all activity starts again when he awakes. He might be a handful but he’s such a lovable kid that when he goes home (to Melaka), he leaves a void in the house. He has also picked up quite an impressive vocab since I last saw him. Among the words he knows are two of his favourite Sesame Street characters, Elmo and Ernie.

*******

Part of the reason I was back home was to attend my childhood friend’s wedding. Last time I saw Terence was about 4 to 5 years ago when he came back from New York to celebrate CNY. The wedding was at Star Restaurant Muar and the majority of the attendees were family friends(mainly retired teachers) and relatives. The rest of my friends had attended the dinner in KL so I had to sit with a table of strangers. These strangers turned out to be his close relatives like his sis, cousins, uncle and aunty, and the bride’s sis and bro. So there I was the odd one out sitting among ‘family’. I was like an outsider witnessing two sides building bridges and fostering ‘silaturahim’ between themselves. Fortunately his sis who was almost 6 years my junior was quick to break the ice. So for the rest of the dinner, I managed to join in the banter around the table.

*******
“Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right now!”
Elan the Bard, Order of the Stick Chapter #126



1 comment:

Beer Brat said...

you should have at least warn us first and not just quote something from the order. now i can't stop myself from going through it. and i am now only at #13